• 85g unsalted peanuts or cashews
• 400ml can coconut milk
• 4 tbsp massaman curry paste
• 600g casserole beef stewing steak, diced
• 450g potatoes, cut into chunks
• 1 onion, chopped finely
• 3 cloves of garlic
• 1 tsp minced ginger
• 4 kaffir lime leaves
• 1 cinnamon stick
• 1 tbsp tamarind paste
• 1 tsp cumin seeds
• 1 tbsp soft light brown sugar
• 1 tbsp fish sauce
• 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely sliced
• Coriander to garnish
• Jasmine rice to serve
1. Roast the peanuts on a baking tray for 5 minutes until golden brown. Set aside.
2. Heat a little olive oil on a medium heat in the bottom of a large cooking pot. When it has warmed up, scatter the cumin seeds and let them simmer for 2 minutes.
3. Add half of the coconut milk to the pot. Add the curry paste and fry for 1 min, then stir in the diced beef and fry well until coated.
4. Stir in the rest of the coconut milk with half a can of water, the potatoes, onion, minced ginger, chopped garlic, red chilli, lime leaves, cinnamon stick, tamarind paste, sugar, fish sauce, and the peanuts. Bring to a simmer then cover and cook for no less than 1 hour, until the beef is tender.
5. Sprinkle with coriander and extra chilli (optional) and serve with jasmine rice.