• 1 tbsp olive or coconut oil
• 1 red onion peeled and finely chopped
• 4 cloves garlic peeled and crushed
• 1 tbsp minced ginger
• 2 tbsp tomato puree
• 1 tbsp curry powder
• 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
• 2 tsp coriander
• 2 tsp garam masala
• 100g creamed coconut
• 400g chopped tomatoes
• 600ml water
• 2 large sweet potatoes peeled and diced
• 2 400g tins chickpeas drained
• 350g frozen spinach
• A handful fresh coriander finely chopped
• Salt to taste
1. Heat the oil in a large pan, add the chopped onion and fry on a low heat for about 10 minutes.
2. Add the garlic, ginger, tomato puree, curry powder, cumin, coriander and garam masala and fry for a couple of minutes more.
3. Add the creamed coconut, tinned tomatoes and water and bring up to a simmer, stir until the creamed coconut has melted.
4. Add the sweet potato and simmer for 15 minutes, until almost soft
5. Add the chickpeas and spinach and simmer for 10 more minutes, until the sweet potatoes are soft.
6. Stir in the chopped coriander and season generously with salt.
7. Serve with rice.