• 2 tbsp olive oil
• 2 garlic cloves
• 400g tomatoes, halved
• 2 thyme sprigs
• 1 red onion, quartered
• 2 Romano peppers,
• 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
• 2 tbsp ricotta
• A handful of basil leaves
• Bread to serve
1. You will need a large cooking/stewing pot. Heat the oil in the bottom of the pot on a low heat and gently fry the tomatoes, onion, peppers and season.
2. Roast the garlic and thyme sprigs, then simmer for 25-30 mins until all the veg has softened.
3. Squeeze the garlic cloves out of their skins into the tin, strip the leaves off the thyme and discard the stalks and garlic skins.
4. Mix the vinegar into the pot then blend everything in a bullet blender or use a stick blender, adding enough water to loosen to your preferred consistency (we used around 150ml).
5. Reheat the soup if necessary, taste for seasoning, then spoon into two bowls and top each with a spoonful of ricotta and a few basil leaves.
6. Serve with bread for dunking.