As those darker autumnal nights start to draw in, we think a hearty sausage cassoulet is just the thing to warm us up. This recipe has been given to us by Howden-based Anna’s Happy Trotters, where pigs are 100% free range from start to finish. This means they live their lives completely outdoors, unlike outdoor reared pigs which might be born and bred outside but are taken inside once they are weaned. Only 1-2% of pigs are bred in this way in the UK, so Anna’s pigs really are the ‘crème de la crème’!
• 12 Cumberland Sausages each cut into 3 pieces
• 1tbsp sunflower oil
• 6 shallots, halved
• 8oz unsmoked bacon lardons
• 2 cloves garlic, crushed
• 1tbsp flour
• 15fl oz white wine
• 5fl oz water
• 1 x 400g can borlotti or cannellini beans, drained
• 1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
• 2tbsp tomato puree
• 1tbsp each of fresh sage, rosemary and thyme
• Salt and pepper
1. Heat oil in a non-stick pan and fry sausages over high heat until brown. Remove from pan.
2. Add shallots, bacon and garlic and fry until brown.
3. Stir in remaining ingredients and season. Pour into a casserole dish and return the sausages. Cover and simmer over a low heat for about 1 1/2 hours until sausages are tender.
4. Serve with mustard mash and French beans.